Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Secret Ingredients

The kitchen smells of onions, garlic and chalets sweating in the Dutch oven. A short time later, the chicken stock adds to the depth of the aroma. Once the seasoning, tomatoes and beans have been added it becomes too tempting to just sit back and bask in your glory!
Today, for one of the first times, I ventured into the unknown. Yes, I attempted a recipe that no one in my family has ever made before.
Pasta e fagioli was a great confidence builder! It's consistency resembles a hardy soup that can be personalized for every family. I found a basic recipe on my favorite website (allrecipes.com) and customized it to my liking.
I found that even though I was unsure of what the outcome would taste or look like, I knew that my secret ingredients would turn the dish into a masterpiece for my table. Every dish made by me involves at least one of these secret ingredients. However I laced this dish with all three: love, passion and curiosity, to produce a melody of flavors that harmonize perfectly!
So I encourage you to experiment and make your own recipe! In the process you may find some secret ingredients of your own. Here is my recipe for Pasta e fagioli to start a foundation for your own dish.

Pasta e Fagioli

My very country version of this classic Italian dish.

Olive oil
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. chicken broth
1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can cannelini beans
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
dried parsley
dried basil
Italian seasoning
pepper
Kosher salt
handful of purple pearl onions, whole peeled
¼ - ½ lb. Pasta

  1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery. Cook until onion and celery is tender.
  2. Add undrained tomatoes, undrained cannellini beans, drained and rinsed black beans, chicken broth and seasoning. Boil for one minute and then let simmer for 10 minutes, covered.
  3. Add pasta and pearl onions and simmer until pasta is tender.   

No comments:

Post a Comment